Monday, April 9, 2012

Bacon Egg and Cheese Tart

Serves 4

While I was in the check-out aisle at the grocery store the other day, I glanced over to see an amazing looking breakfast creation on the cover of the Food Network Magazine. I picked up the magazine to glance at the recipe, and decided to go ahead and buy it because every page I turned to had something delicious on it. I decided this breakfast tart would be the perfect dish to make for my family on Easter morning - which it was! Unfortunately I bought the magazine a little too late, because there was a contest to think up a clever name for the tart, but the contest had expired. I'll update the name when they pick a winner! For the record, I would've called it "Breakfast in a Basket."



Ingredients:
  • All-purpose flour, for dusting
  • 1 sheet frozen puff pastry (half of a 17-to-18-ounce package), thawed
  • 2 strips bacon (I use 4 strips)
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded havarti cheese (or more!)
  • 3 tablespoons shredded parmesan cheese
  • 4 large eggs
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
  • Chopped fresh chives, for topping
Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 425º F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the puff pastry into a 12-inch square, then cut into 4 equal squares. Slightly fold and pinch the edges of each square to form 4 round tart shells. Transfer to the prepared baking sheets and prick all over with a fork. Bake until golden, 8 to 10 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a medium skillet over medium heat, turning, until crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain, then crumble.

3. Let the tart shells cool slightly on the baking sheets. If the centers are very puffy, prick with a fork to deflate. Sprinkle evenly with the havarti and parmesan. Make a shallow well in the cheese in the center of each tart and crack an egg into each; season with salt and pepper. Top with the bacon, then return to the oven and bake until the egg whites are set, 10 to 15 minutes. Top with chives.

*I served the tarts with fresh fruit and sparkling rosé champagne (mimosas would be great, too).


No comments:

Post a Comment