Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Bloody Marie

While I was driving down the highway today, I was thinking to myself that I really need a new citrus zester. Somehow that thought turned into this... I decided to create a "fancier" version of the Bloody Mary, which I love so much, especially on a hazy, hungover weekend morning. 

This recipe was inspired, not only by my need for a new citrus zester, but also by one of the most infamous women in history - Marie Antoinette. I saw Sofia Coppola's film "Marie Antoinette" a couple of years ago, and although I was not pleased with the inconclusive ending, I absolutely adored all of the bright colors, intricately designed clothing, and most of all, the gorgeous champagne glasses! After seeing this movie, I went to Anthropologie and purchased a set of champagne glasses, as I have always used flutes before. Now, they are some of my most treasured pieces in my home. Garnished with Queen olives & a champagne floater, they are perfectly suited for a Bloody Marie {Antoinette} cocktail! I hope you like my take on the classic cocktail, the Bloody Mary. Here's the Bloody Marie...

Ingredients:
  • 1 oz. vodka
  • 3.5 oz. Clamato juice
  • 1/2 tsp. freshly grated lemon zest
  • 1/8 tsp. prepared horseradish
  • 4 (or so) splashes of Worcestershire sauce
  • A few drops of your favorite hot sauce (I like Tabasco in a Bloody Mary/Marie)
  • A bit of freshly ground black pepper & sea salt
  • Wedge of lemon
  • Celery salt (to garnish the rim)
  • Queen olives
  • Champagne (for a floater)
  • A champagne glass (a regular wine glass or your prettiest glass will do)
Directions:

Chill your champagne glass. Shake some celery salt onto a plate and set aside. In a separate glass, mix together vodka, Clamato juice, lemon zest, horseradish, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, black pepper, & salt. Pour into an ice-filled shaker, and shake till chilled. Use the lemon wedge to rim the champagne glass & swirl in celery salt to make a thin, even salt rim. Pour mixture into the rimmed glass and top with a champagne floater. Garnish with Queen olives. This recipe is easily doubled, tripled, etc. Enjoy! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment