Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Oven-Fried Chicken {Gluten-Free}

Serves 4

My parents have been reading the book Wheat Belly and have been cutting back on the amount of wheat/gluten they consume. I'm still in the early stages of researching this way of eating, and since it makes sense that this could be a healthier lifestyle, I've been trying to come up with delicious gluten-free substitutes for the everyday cravings we wheat-lovers want.

My dear friend, Frederiche Gray, who has been my hairstylist for years now, is moving to Oregon today. My family had Frederiche & his husband over for a sending-off dinner last night, and I decided to make a tried-and-true delicious recipe that I've posted on this blog before, but I made a couple changes to make it gluten-free!

Cree LaFavour's recipe from Poulet: More Than 50 Remarkable Recipes That Exalt the Honest ChickenOven-Fried Chicken, is one of my all-time favorite dishes to make. It's crispy, juicy, and so much healthier than fried chicken (I actually think it's BETTER)! I researched how to make a gluten-free all-purpose flour, and found this wonderful blog called Gluten-Free Girl and The Chef. The blog explained which flours could be used and what the correct proportions are to make a gluten-free all-purpose flour (see the post here). I decided to use oat flour as my whole grain flour, and potato flour as my starch. My family, who has eaten this recipe before, liked the gluten-free version even more! It was so crispy, and seriously delicious!


Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup organic whole milk
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • Juice of 2 lemons
  • 1 tsp. Kosher salt, plus 1 tbsp.
  • 8-10 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (or 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts)
  • 3 oz. oat flour
  • 5 oz. potato flour
  • 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
  • Black pepper
  • Flaky salt for finishing
  • 1/4 cup coursely chopped fresh chives or parsley

Directions:

In a large bowl, stir together the milk, olive oil, lemon juice and the 1 tsp. Kosher salt.  Add the chicken to the bowl and turn to coat on both sides.  Marinate at room temperature for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour, or cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours. If refrigerating, return the chicken to room temperature for 30 minutes or so to take the chill off before cooking.

Preheat the oven to 400° F.

Stir together the oat flour, potato flour, 1 tbsp. Kosher salt, and cayenne in another large bowl.  Season with the black pepper.  Lift the chicken pieces from the marinade and dredge in the seasoned flour to coat on both sides.  Give each piece a little shake to remove any excess flour.  Lay the pieces on a parchment paper-lined or lightly greased baking sheet, skin-side down.

Bake the chicken for 30-40 minutes, turning after 15 minutes, or until the crust is a deep, golden brown.  I covered my chicken with aluminum foil at the end because the crust was very crispy, and I didn't want it to burn. Either insert an instant-read thermometer into the thickest part of a thigh or cut into a thigh with a paring knife.  The thermometer should register 175° F.  If using a knife, look for clear, not red or pink, juices running from the spot where you pierced the meat and opaque, barely pink flesh at the bone.  If the chicken isn't done, bake for 5 to 10 minutes longer and check it again.

When the chicken is done, remove it from the oven, sprinkle with a little flaky salt, and let rest for 5 minutes.  Arrange on a platter or divide among individual plates.  Scatter the chives or parsley on top and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment